Ihhhht’s a summer bliss bowl!
And it has an adorably tasty pile of sweet potato falafel on top.
Question. What is your response to hearing / seeing / thinking about the idea of sweet potato falafel? Mad? Happy? Confused? Already on your way to to the store for sweet potatoes?
I’d say my feelings are mostly happy, and nostalgic (aww, remember those lentil falafels we did together last winter?) and a little scared because are the falafel police coming for me for my omission of chickpeas? but mostly, more than anything else, the feeling is just SUPES EXCITED to eat a big bowl of fresh, end-of-summer vegetables loaded with that creamy, perfectly tangy, and just a little bit spicy jalapeño ranch.
Yeah, no. I know it. We didn’t even talk about the ranch yet. ♡
Okay, let’s have a few words about falafel.
I don’t claim this to be an authentic falafel. I DO claim this to be a delicious, real food, no-bean (!!!), quick and easy alternative to making traditional falafel from scratch.
Guys. It’s SO EASY! It brings my heart so much joy to put easy, real food, actually-will-make-them-in-real-life recipes like this on this blog.
I’m not saying it won’t take you a long time to chop up all your veggies and make a dressing from scratch and fry your falafels. Be reasonable with yourself. These things take time. If you need a way to pass the time more enjoyably, I recommend pouring the last of the rose and putting on a good podcast on (s/o to all my nerds in the house) and deciding for yourself if this whole BLISS BOWL phenom is more about epic taste or more about the semi-relaxing fitspo routine of intentionally and thoughtfully preparing everything. I dunno, tie.
But if I can brag these guys up, the falafel specifically?
I literally can’t stress how easy these are compared to any other made-from-scratch falafel. We’re talking 5 ingredients, 5 minute prep, ready for your bliss bowl and your mouth in such a short amount of time. If the whole process of bliss bowl prep is going to take you a while, you might as well at least get some quick and easy falafel done so you can dip it in jalapeño ranch while you chop the veggies, rite tho?
Summer! Summer, summer, summer.
Heirloom tomatoes, dill, creamy jalapeno ranch, fresh spinach, roasty corn, goat cheese, and sweet potato falafel.
- 1 raw sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup cooked brown rice and/or quinoa
- ½ cup almonds or other nuts
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup flour
- oil for frying
- heirloom tomatoes
- quinoa/brown rice
- roasted corn
- fresh dill
- goat cheese
- Jalapeno Ranch
- FALAFEL STEP ONE: Pulse the sweet potato through a food processor until finely minced. Add the brown rice/quinoa and almonds and pulse until well mixed and uniform in texture. Add the egg and salt and pulse until mixed. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the flour.
- FALAFEL STEP TWO: Form the mixture into balls or patties. Heat the oil over medium heat and fry each falafel for a few minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- BOWLS: Assemble all your ingredients in a bowl. Top with the falafels and jalapeño ranch dressing.
The post Summer Bliss Bowls with Sweet Potato Falafel and Jalapeño Ranch appeared first on Pinch of Yum.