These flavorful chicken skewers are marinated in coconut milk and spices, then grilled and served with a delicious spicy peanut sauce for dipping. Anytime we go out for Thai food, we ALWAYS order the satay! My husband is obsessed with coconut milk and peanut sauce, so I thought I’d surprise him with his favorite appetizer, and serve it as a main dish instead.
He gave these the thumbs up, so I will def be making them again. The chicken marinade I adapted from a recipe I found on the Food Network, but I used my tried and true peanut sauce recipe that never fails me. To lighten it I used Better N Peanut Butter which I really love in sauces (they carry at Trader Joe’s) but regular peanut butter would also work. To make it a main dish, we served it with rice and sliced cucumbers. These would also make a great appetizer if you’re entertaining outdoors this summer!
To prevent the sticks from burning, I recommend soaking them at least one hour while the chicken marinates.
Grilled Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce
6 Smart Points
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 -1/4 pounds thin sliced boneless, skinless chicken cutlets
- 16 large Bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water
- lime wedges, for garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped peanuts, for garnish (optional)
For the Peanut Sauce (makes 1/2 cup):
- 1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp Better’n peanut butter
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce (Tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- In a bowl, mix the marinade ingredients except the chicken. Slice the chicken into long, thin strips, about 3 inches long by 1 inch wide, and add to marinade. Turn chicken to coat, cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or longer.
- Meanwhile, prepare the peanut sauce. Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and whisk well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until smooth, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Prepare grill to high heat and thread marinated chicken onto soaked bamboo skewers. Place on grill and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Serve with lime wedges and peanut sauce and garnish with cilantro and peanuts.
Yield: 4 Servings, Serving Size: 4 skewers
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 6
- Points +: 7
- Calories: 297
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 104mg
- Sodium: 998mg
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 6.5g
- Protein: 36.5g